About Us Types of visas


Tourist whose sole purpose of visiting India is recreation, sight-seeing, casual visit, meeting friends and relatives will be granted Tourist Visa for the duration of the visit effective from the date of issue. Tourist Visas are non-extendable and non-convertible. Journalists, press and media persons, editors, camerapersons, film/documentary directors/producers/editors going to India for tourism can only be granted Journalist Visa with Tourism Purpose. They should declare the purpose of their visit on a plain paper attached to the application form.



A Business Visa is given those who are doing business in India such as making sales or establishing contacts on behalf of a company outside of India. Business visas may be valid for three months to one year or more with single or multiple entries. However, the period of stay in India (for each visit) under this category is limited to six months only.





A transit visa is granted for the sole purpose of enabling the holder to travel through India to reach his / her ultimate destination. Change of purpose is not allowed. The visa will ordinarily be valid for a single journey and for entry within 15 days of date of issue. The Transit visa is valid for direct transit only for a maximum period of 3 days. For a stay in India beyond 3 days, an appropriate visa should be obtained.



An Entry Visa is given for a specific purpose as decided by the mission. (short term courses and unpaid internships) or other non-business related purposes.

Entry Visa are issued to seamen going to Inspect / Attend vessel at Indian ports.

Entry Visas are issued to Persons of Indian Origin, family members of Indian citizens and family members of foreign nationals employed in India. In the latter case, documents establishing the employment of the spouse along with a copy of his/her Employment visa must be attached.

Registration is required within 14 days of arrival in India if the stay is more than 180 days.




Employment visa is granted to a foreigner who wants to take up an employment in India. Visa is granted for the duration of the employment or to a maximum period of one year by the Embassy of India. Annual salary should be more than USD 25000 per year. Registration is required within 14 days of arrival if employment visa is for more than 180 days.


Foreign nationals who wish to come to India for honorary work (without salary) with NGOs registered in India are granted employment visa for a one year duration. However foreign national can draw a monthly remuneration not exceeding Rs. 10000/- for honorary work.


Further extension is only done by the state governments/Union Territories/Foreigners Regional Registration Office, and Foreigner's Registration Office.


Extension of Employment Visa can only be done by the FRRO in India in the city where employed. Indian Embassy will not accept any applications for renewal of the Employment Visa unless the contract is with a new Company.




Within the Employment Visa regime, a separate visa regime for foreign nationals coming to India for execution of projects in power and steel sectors, to be labelled as Project (‘P’) visa has been introduced. The Project Visa will cover only the Power and steel Sectors.



Student visas are given to Bonafide students to pursue regular studies at recognized educational institutions in India. Valid for the period of study as approved by the educational/recognized institution in India.

Students sponsored by AIESEC for project based work in companies/industries are eligible for business visa and those going for community/social services are granted entry visa.

Registration is required within 14 days of arrival in India, if period of stay is more than 180 days.



Conference visas are issued for attending conferences or seminars in India.



A Medical visa is given to those who are travelling to India for a medical treatment.

Registration is required within 14 days of arrival if visa is valid for more than 180 days.




A Medical Escort visa is given to those who are accompanying a patient has been granted medical visa as his/her escort. Maximum two escorts are permitted with a patient.

This visa can be given to a close relative/family member or a friend of the patient.

Registration is required within 14 days of arrival if visa is valid for more than 180 days.




All foreign journalists, regardless of the purpose of their visit, should apply for a “J” (journalist) visa, for up to three months' stay in India. “Journalists” for this purpose would include a professional journalist, columnist, cartoonist, editor, photographer, film producer or director (other than that of commercial films), a representative of a radio and/or television organization, travel writer/travel promotion photographer etc or any professional journalist/owner working for an association or a company engaged in the production or broadcast of audio visual news or current affairs programmes through the print, electronic or any other electronic form. All such applicants are required to apply along with a letter from their organization describing clearly the job title of the applicant and the nature of their work and whether they are travelling on work or as tourists.



Research Visas are granted for Research projects in India.



Urgent/Emergency service can be attained on Business / Entry / Transit Visa only.

Greek Passport holders who wish to attain a Visa on Urgent/Emergency basis can make their request at the time of official submission of Visa Application at the Indian Embassy.

Urgent/Emergency service requires applicants to produce their flight E/-Tickets (reservations and bookings will not accepted) proof of travel within processing time. (3 working days)

This service bears an additional cost of 43 euros.

Urgent/Emergency service can be attained provided all essential documents pertaining to the visa request are presented at the Embassy and at the discretion of the Embassy. The same will be informed to you at the time of official submission.